menu bar

Tuesday, April 23, 2024

The Pain of Knowing

I'm about to go to bed; forcing myself to go to sleep. The first image I have when I open my eyes is of some child I have never met; a child that has been murdered in Palestine. The last thought at night is of some unknown dead Palestinian; 

it is the same anguish I felt when I was 9 years old and learned about the Holocaust; the anguish of not understanding how the German society could be so cruel.

I had shot down my computer; and had to put back on again; to bear witness, to place here the face that came upon my mind as I set my bed;



A child, that went to sleep and woke up with an explosion that you israelis conjured; her father gone; her mother gone; her sister gone; her brother gone; her cousins gone. Her home gone.

She walked to her bed as you and I and the entire world do and woke up missing family and limb; one of ithe israeli children  pressed a button and launched a missile that changed her life in an instant.

She survived that attack and woke up without her family and missing a leg but her spirit pushed her forward and she made plans; to become a doctor; 

"to help others" she said hopefully.

Then, one of your children pushed another button and conjured another missile that found her in bed; sleeping; AT A HOSPITAL.

She didn't survive that.

And I am 58 years old, anguished and unable to understand how can the israeli society be so cruel.

I'm going to press the publish button and will try to sleep, and her memory will be with me until I do: 

the memory of her lying there in bed, crying for her family, trying to find hope for a new beginning, or as she stated "my life is changing now."

But in order to change, you need to be alive. So I will try thinking of that instead; that there might be hope for the israelis and the Germans and the Americans and the British and all the people tonight engaged in hurting others.

In order to change you need to be alive; so there might be hope for your genocidal society yet. 

Perhaps, one of these days you israelis get tired of killing and hurting and raping and torturing and conjuring up ghosts in your backyard.